COVID-19 Volunteer Guidelines (as of June 21)
- If you or someone in your household is not feeling well, including having a cough, fever, or any other symptoms, we ask that you please stay home to take time to get well.
- When you arrive for your shift, we will take your temperature. If you have a reading higher than 100 degrees Fahrenheit, we will ask you to return home. We hope you rest up and are well, and that you are able to return to The River in the future.
- Please wear a mask throughout your entire shift. We have several styles available, or you are welcome to bring your own.
- Please wear gloves while volunteering, and change them as often as needed. We have plenty onsite.
- After you sign-in, please wash your hands. Wash whenever needed throughout your shift, such as after using the bathroom, touching your face or hair, eating or drinking, or after taking out the garbage.
- If you come into contact with a large gathering of 50+ people, please either self-quarantine for 14 days or receive a negative COVID-19 test prior to returning to volunteer at The River. All volunteers are encouraged to wear face masks when in public places, observe social distance of at least 6’ from individuals you do not live with, and isolate yourself if you begin to feel unwell.
We know some of these guidelines may be cumbersome, or change your plans, and we thank you for your flexibility and support in keeping The River a healthy space for all to work, volunteer, and receive groceries.
While volunteering at The River with the market, you will have the opportunity to support other’s access to healthy groceries in several ways. These include sorting produce, packing boxes, readying carts for pick-up, and helping to load vehicles with groceries, as well as welcoming and registering clients. These are physically demanding shifts, and may include lifting weight up to 40 lbs. While no meal will be provided, we will have water and snacks available. Other volunteering shifts include MUNCH and FAM, both meal services. FAM volunteering will include preparing meals in the kitchen, maintaining a clean working environment, and serving food outside as households receive groceries. MUNCH Distribution is providing lunches in several Northside neighborhoods directly to children and their families.
At this time, we are asking all volunteers over 70 years old to please take a break from volunteering onsite. If you are over 70 and interested in volunteering, please contact us at email@example.com to learn about some alternative ways to still volunteer with The River.
Again, thank you for giving your time, energy, and compassion to help The River reach our goal of a fully nourished community.