The theme of National Nutrition Month ® this year is “Going Further with Food”. Do you end up throwing away food despite your best intentions? If you do, try these tips on refrigerator storage from the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics:
- Keep fruits and vegetables in the bottom drawers, or crisper bins, of your fridge
- Separate your fruits and veggies into different drawers. Fruit can release a gas which causes food to rot faster.
- Keep yogurt, cheese, and milk in the fridge.
- Keep milk on the main shelves towards the back of the fridge where it is coldest.
- Put raw meat, poultry, or fish in a bowl or pan so drippings won’t contaminate other food.
- Keep whole grains in the freezer.
For more ideas, take a look at the article:
Click here to learn to download a simple guideline on reading food labels.