We are excited to host two dietetic interns during March, which also happens to be National Nutrition Month®! Here is Grace, sampling a healthy chili recipe you can make at home with only a few ingredients.
A healthy and hearty chili recipe. Serves 6.
3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 cans kidney beans, rinsed and drained (30 ounces total)
3 cans of crushed or diced tomatoes (45 ounces total)
1 cup corn (optional)
- Dice onion.
- In a large pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions and spices. Stir together and cook until soft, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Mix in beans, tomatoes with juice, and corn. Bring mixture to a boil, then lower heat and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Information per serving: 240 Calories, 325 mg sodium, 8 g fat, 1 g saturated fat, 36 g carbohydrate, 9 g protein.
Are you interested in cooking, but have a tight budget or don’t know how to start? Check out this free online cookbook Good and Cheap. Created by a graduate student for her capstone project, these recipes are designed for a $4/day FoodShare (SNAP) budget.