Last updated: August 6, 2020, 3:30 pm
The River plans to continue to operate for the duration of this community emergency. Updates will continue to be made on this webpage, social media, and voicemail system as necessary. Questions and concerns can be directed to email@example.com or (608) 442-8815.
Curbside Pick-Up: Tuesday–Friday
The River will not allow shoppers inside of the facility. Instead, prepared boxes of groceries, including perishable and non-perishable foods, will be available for pick up curbside. Inside each box, we have selected a variety of items that we hope you and your household will be able to use. If there are items that you cannot use, we ask that you please share them with someone rather than throwing it away or returning it.
The following system will be in place for client pickup:
- Enter through the Packers Avenue entrance and proceed to The River.
- A volunteer or staff member will ask you the basic questions and ask to see your ID, all while you stay in your car.
- A volunteer or staff member will then put boxes of food in your car.
If you have specific dietary needs, please tell one of our volunteers or employees onsite or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. We will do our best to accommodate your needs.
If you are not feeling well and need food, we encourage you to stay home. Please email email@example.com and ask about setting up a proxy shopper.
What to bring to The River to receive boxed groceries
If you are a registered client at The River…
Please bring the white registration card that The River has issued you. If you do not have your registration card when you visit, please bring an ID.
If you are visiting The River for the first time…
All you need to bring is an ID for the head of the household. Please read below for instructions on how to receive an official registration card.
If you are waiting to receive a registration card…
Please come to The River on Tuesday from 12pm–2pm or Thursday from 10am–12pm with the necessary information below:
- Proof of address: A piece of mail dated within 3 months.
- One form of ID for each family member: Acceptable forms of ID for family members include photo ID, insurance cards, school IDs, birth certificates, vaccination records, etc. We will also need the birthdate of each family member.
You can pick up your groceries during the same visit. It may take 5–10 minutes to enter your information, and your card will be available for pick-up your next visit.
Once you have your card, please bring it with you each time you visit so that we can check you in fast and keep things moving!
PLEASE NOTE: When your card expires, we will need to verify that all the information we have is still current.
FAM (Family At-home Meals): Tuesday–Friday
This summer, The River is launching a brand-new family meal program, called FAM (Family At-home Meals)! Take home free, healthy, ready-to-eat meals for your family when you pick up curbside groceries at The River. FAM meals are available for pick-up once a week, so you can receive your groceries and meal all in the same trip. See the schedule here.
MUNCH mobile lunch program: Monday–Saturday
MUNCH will deliver pre-bagged lunches six days a week to children in the standard neighborhoods, as well as Kennedy Heights. See the schedule here. The River will not provide MUNCH lunches onsite on Fridays.
- Community Meals
- Caring Clothing Closet
- Friday Night Van Rides
Food Bridge: food delivery for homebound seniors
The River continues to work with NewBridge Madison and RSVP of Dane County to operate Food Bridge: a free monthly food delivery program for low-income older adults in Madison and Monona. Learn how the program works, how to receive food, and how to become a volunteer here.
Clothing and houseware donations not accepted
Due to COVID-19, The River canceled our clothing distribution. Therefore, we no longer accept donations of clothing, toys, housewares, etc. We have cleaned out The River’s Caring Closet to make room for more food to feed more people. However, The River will accept your donations of food and personal care items.
The following safety protocols are in place:
- Asking all staff and volunteers to be diligent in washing their hands upon entering our building and before touching any product.
- Having hand-sanitizing stations and disinfecting cleaning spray available. Volunteers are assisting in wiping down all surfaces throughout the day and have access to gloves.
- Changing procedures to decrease or eliminate handing things to each other.
- Getting as much food and supplies, as able, to people in our community.
- Asking volunteers to stay home if ill, and reminding clients of alternate options to receive services if they are ill.
Ian's Pizza donates pizza to MUNCH
Thank you, Ian's Pizza Madison, for donating 3️⃣5️⃣ large pizzas to our mobile lunch program, MUNCH🍕🍕 Because of Ian's, 240 excited children and family members enjoyed a slice of yummy pepperoni, cheese, or mac n' cheese pizza with their MUNCH lunches yesterday💕#IansPizza #communitypartner #madisonwi #fullynourishedcommunityPosted by The River Food Pantry on Thursday, April 9, 2020
What's for lunch today?
Our mobile lunch program, MUNCH, has some tasty options for hungry children today😋Huge thanks to Panera Bread for donating 1️⃣0️⃣0️⃣ meals to MUNCH! Each meal has 4 turkey or ham sandwiches, 4 chips, and 4 fresh apples😯 Panera will generously continue to provide these meals for the next several weeks, and we are SO thankful to share them with our community🙏#madisonwi #fullynourishedcommunityPosted by The River Food Pantry on Wednesday, April 22, 2020
Thank you for volunteering, Mike!
Mike Peters volunteers to pick up food donations from 13 Kwik Trip locations and 3 Little Caesars locations Monday through Friday each week🚚🚚🚚Mike, thank you so much for dedicating your time and energy to support The River over the last 4 years🙏 And, Happy Birthday!🎉🎈#volunteer #madisonwi #fullynourishedcommunityPosted by The River Food Pantry on Monday, April 27, 2020
HOW YOU CAN HELP
Support our COVID-19 Emergency Food Fund
Our COVID-19 Emergency Food Fund is helping to provide:
- Boxes of groceries, including perishable and non-perishable food, for hundreds of local households to pick up curbside at The River.
- Pre-bagged lunches for children delivered through MUNCH—The River’s mobile lunch program—to 9 low-income neighborhoods 6 days a week.
- Ready-to-eat meals for families to take home through our newest program, called FAM (Family At-Home Meals).
By supporting this fund, you will help the most vulnerable members of our community receive the resources they need during this challenging time. No donation is too small—95 cents of every dollar donated goes to our programs and services.
The River Food Pantry is a 501(c)(3) non-profit charitable organization, and your gift is tax deductible to the fullest extent of the law.
Volunteer (if you are healthy and not at high risk)
The River seeks healthy volunteers who are not in the higher-risk demographic to help at The River with food packaging and distribution, as well as client registration. Volunteers are also needed to help with FAM (Family At-Home Meals) and MUNCH lunch production and distribution. Sign up to volunteer here.
Message for volunteers ages 70+: We are asking those ages 70 and above to take a break from volunteering with The River for now. We are limiting the number of people at The River at any one time. We hope you can understand the precautions we are taking for the sake of our staff and for you! We can’t wait for the day when we can all laugh again together and work side-by-side while assisting our clients inside The River.
Groups: If you would like to volunteer as a group, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Donate food & hygiene products
The River will again accept in-kind donations of food and personal care items, but not clothing or housewares. Donations can be dropped off at the back door of The River (2201 Darwin Rd) on Mondays from 9am–1pm and Tuesdays–Fridays from 1pm–3pm. Learn more here.
Take this short survey!
The River is conducting a survey and we would greatly appreciate your participation by answering a few questions about your experiences at The River. Your feedback is important to us. Please follow this link to complete a short survey.
- Dane County COVID-19 Food Resources
- COVID-19 Updates for FoodShare and Other Food Benefits
- Health Order #12 Safer At Home
- MMSD Neighborhood Food Sites – Free Healthy Meals for Kids
- Recovery Helpline: alcohol or substance use during coronavirus epidemic
- COVID-19 Media Coverage about The River
- 40 Blessings for Everyone at The River